Thursday 12 February 2015

Rolf Semi-Synthetic Engine Oil

Rolf Semi Synthetic is somehow a brand new engine oil in the market. It is made in France and it has a Molybdenium additive in it.
Rolf Semi-Synthetic Engine Oil
I sent my mum's Proton Persona for service at Proride Motorsports at Jalan Kulas, same stretch as Bank Islam Satok branch. At first, I was hesitant to use this particular oil as the brand is foreign to me and this was the first time I actually saw this brand for sale. I wanted to use Proride 10W-40 at first, but after being persuaded by the kind owner, Jackson Bong, I gave it a try.

Up the jack we go!
He explained that this particular oil was better in a sense that it is a semi-synthetic oil with characteristics of a fully synthetic oil. The one I used before was a Castrol GTX 15W-40, and it was recommended by the previous workshop which I would avoid right now due to my previous experience. The workshop foreman was very unfriendly, rude, and the quality of service was extremely poor. I was entitled for a wheel balancing and alignment for my 5th service, but after the so-called "free service", the steering just got worse.

I came to Proride Motorsports a few times for service and I also changed my Viva's original springs to Proride Sport Springs at the workshop.

Oil filter and the old oil in the engine. 
The engine was suffering from poor performance and increased fuel consumption. Somehow, 15W-40 was too thick for my engine and as time goes by, the oil gets thick and it burdens the engine. The Persona's engine heats very quickly and is quite noisy. Acceleration is very poor, and it would take some time to overtake anyone at the highway.

New oil poured into the engine.
Rolf engine oil is 5W-30 and it is green in colour as a result from the additive. After using it for a few weeks, I notice a difference in the performance and fuel consumption of the engine. The engine is more responsive and the fuel consumption is lower than it was before.

The oil is sold for RM150 per litre and the total cost of service was RM160 including oil filter, and the labour is free of charge. So far, I have no complains regarding this oil, and I'm looking forward to use this oil again in the next service.

If you are in Kuching, I would recommend you to give Proride Motorsport @ Jalan Kulas a try. It has a very clean workshop and there is a waiting area for customers where there are sofas, a TV and the waiting area is air-conditioned. What I like most about this workshop is that it is very bright and the owner and staffs are very friendly. The workshop is opened from 10.00a.m. until 9.00p.m.and they do sell Bendix brake pads and Ultra Racing bars to name a few.



2 comments:

  1. As a jet fighter squadron commander, Lieutenant Colonel Albert J. Amatuzio had ample opportunity to witness synthetic lubricants in action. These AMSOIL oils are used exclusively in jet engines because of three extraordinary performance characteristics: an ability to reduce friction and wear on engine components, an ability to function dependably at severe temperature extremes and an ability to withstand rigorous and lengthy engine operation without chemical breakdown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. am giving this brand a shot for my 1980 Galant, 20W50 Mineral though..

    ReplyDelete